Monday, July 27, 2015

7 Years!

We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness–and call it love–true love.

Happy Anniversary to us! Yesterday Gil & I celebrated 7 years of marriage. In the morning we went to the zoo with Mason and then ate outside at MBrew. It was sooooo hot at the zoo, so it was a good thing we got there in the morning.



Water Break!




In 7 years, Gil and I have learned a lot about marriage. It's funny thinking back to our wedding day. We were so young and naive and really had very few expectations. I think it's hard to understand what marriage is until you're in it. 

The image of marriage that I usually see is the glossed over, perfect couples on tv or in movies. That's definitely not real life. Gil and I are not perfect and our marriage is not perfect. Sometimes it's really easy and sometimes it's really hard. But I love that we keep choosing to work on it together. 

I think the most important thing I have learned so far is that communication can make or break a couple. For a long time, I thought I was perfect at this. Surprise, surprise, I am not and often I have to humble myself to my imperfections, which isn't easy.

I've also learned that it's so important to make room for each other to grow and change in the relationship. The person you start out with is not the person you will find yourself with 7 years down the road. Keep falling in love with that person, whoever it may be. 

Through all our ups and downs, I'm really proud of our marriage and where we are today. Can't wait to see where the future will bring us...





No comments:

Post a Comment